Here at Trail’s End we are committed to the health and well-being of our land, animals, family, and everyone we feed. We like to keep current on issues of nutrition and sustainable food production, and we love to read! Listed below are some of the resources that inspire & motivate us to produce sustainable, quality food, and connect us to our place in the West.
Food Production, Pleasure and Politics
- Anderson, Karen and Matilde Sanchez-Turri. Food Artisans of Alberta: Your Trail Guide to the Best of our Locally Crafted Fare. Victoria: Touchwood Editions, 2018.
- Elton, Sarah. Consumed: Food for a Finite Planet. Toronto: Harper Collins, 2013.
- Fallon, Sally. Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats. Washington, DC: New Trends, 2001.
- Grandin, Temple. Humane Livestock Handling: Understanding Livestock Behavior and Building Facilities for Healthier Animals. North Adams: Storey, 2008.
- Hayes, Shannon. The Grassfed Gourmet Cookbook. Bala Cynwyd: Eating Fresh, 2004.
- Hayes, Shannon. Long Way on a Little: An earth lover’s companion for enjoying meat, pinching pennies, and living deliciously. Richmondville: Left to Write Press, 2012.
- Hobsbawn-Smith, dee. Foodshed: An Edible Alberta Alphabet. Victoria: TouchWood, 2012.
- Keith, Lierre. The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice and Sustainability. Crescent City: Flashpoint Press, 2009.
- Moyles, Trina. Women Who Dig: Farming, Feminism, and the Fight to Feed the World. Regina: University of Regina Press, 2018.
- Niman Hahn, Nicolette. Defending Beef: The Case for Sustainable Meat Production. White River Junction: Chelsea Green, 2014.
- Pollan, Michael. The Omnivore’s Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals. New York: Penguin, 2006.
- Salatin, Joel. Folks, this ain’t normal: A Farmer’s Advice For Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World. New York: Center Street, 2011.
- Schatzker, Mark. Steak: One Man’s Search for the World’s Tastiest Piece of Beef. Toronto: Penguin, 2010.
History of Ranching in the West
- Abbott, E.C. “Teddy Blue” and Helena Huntington Smith. We Pointed Them North: Recollections of a Cowpuncher. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1939.
- Breen, David H. The Canadian Prairie West and the Ranching Frontier, 1874-1924. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1983.
- Elofson, Warren M. Frontier Cattle Ranching in the Land and Times of Charlie Russell. Montreal and Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2004.
- Foran, Max. Trails and Trials: Markets and Land Use in Alberta Beef Cattle Industry,1881- 1948. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2003.
- Herbert, Rachel. Ranching Women in Southern Alberta. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2017.
- Hopkins, Monica. Letters from a Lady Rancher. Halifax: Formac Publishing, 1983.
- Hussa, Linda. The Family Ranch: Land, Children, and Tradition in the American West. Reno and Las Vegas: University of Nevada Press, 2009.
- Ings, Fredrick W. Before the Fences: Tales from the Midway Ranch. Calgary: McAra Printing, 1980.
- Jordan, Teresa. Cowgirls: Women of the American West (1982). Lincoln and London: University of Nebraska Press, 1992.
- Jordan, Terry C. North American Cattle-Ranching Frontiers: Origins, Diffusion, Differentiation. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1993.
- Poirier, Thelma, ed. et al. A Voice of Her Own. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 2005.
Poetics of Place and Space
- Bell, Laura. Claiming Ground. New York: Vintage Books, 2011.
- Bennett, Virginia, ed. Cowgirl Poetry: One Hundred Years of Ridin’ and Rhymin.’ Salt Lake City: Gibbs Smith, 2001.
- Ehrlich, Gretel. The Solace of Open Spaces. New York: Penguin Books, 1985.
- Hasselstrom, Linda et al eds. Leaning Into the Wind: Women Write from the Heart of the New West. New York Houghton Mifflin, 1997.
- Hussa, Linda. Blood Sister, I Am to These Fields. Reno: Black Rock Press, 2001.
- Jordan, Teresa. Riding the White Horse Home: A Western Family Album. New York: Vintage Books, 1993.
- Lipp-Accord, Darcy. Circling Back Home: A Plainswoman’s Journey. Pierre: South Dakota State Historical Society Press, 2013.
- Rebanks, James. The Shepherd’s Life: Modern Dispatches from and Ancient Land. New York: Flatiron Books, 2015.